Info Finder

Department Info

Buying and Selling Hand Guns

Sheriff's Office
Adrian H. Anderson, Sheriff



Frank Letizia, Deputy Sheriff

Request for Pistol Permit Transfer from Dutchess County (.pdf)

Buying Handguns

  1. Amendments to your pistol license can be done in person or through the mail. If you are coming in person you must have your Pistol License with you as well as your Drivers License to enter the building.

  2. Whether it is a private sale or a sale through a dealer a receipt must be provided for review by the pistol permit office. The receipt should include the Make, Model, Caliber and Serial Number as well as whether the firearm is a revolver or semi-automatic of each gun you are adding/removing.

  3. In a private sale both parties' names, addresses, pistol license numbers with the county of issuance must appear on the receipt as well as both signatures. If the firearm is purchased from a police/peace officer, their shield number and agency with address should also appear on the C-Form.

  4. You will recieve your new permit and purchase coupon in the mail. Waiting times on this can vary, you will be advised by the clerk.

Selling Your Handguns

If you decide to sell a handgun to another pistol permit holder through a private sale, you as the seller cannot give the buyer the handgun until they provide proof it has been registered by producing a coupon signed by a judge showing the handgun make, caliber and serial number. Item number 3 shows the procedure for a private sale.

If you sell a handgun to a dealer, they must give you a receipt reflecting this sale.

  1. When you sell a handgun, you must come to the Pistol Permit Office to remove the gun from your license or mail in a completed amendment form. You must provide a receipt from a dealer or if it is a private sale a receipt as listed in item 3 with the coupon proving the gun has been legally registered to another pistol permit holder. You must retain the coupon and  receipt always as proof you have sold the firearm.

  2. Remember, when you sell a gun you are responsible for having it removed from your license.

  3. All Pistol Permit holders should, as a matter of business, keep copies of all transactions that they have done, whether buying or selling handguns.

  4. Any firearms purchased must be done so within New York State. It is illegal to transport a gun purchased outside New York State into New York State. If you purchase a gun from outside of New York State, you must have a FFL Dealer ship it to another FFL Dealer in New York State. You will then be provided with a receipt from the New York State Dealer so that you can then legally register the gun in New York State.

Amnesty Law

  1. When a Pistol Permit Holder is deceased, the executer or administrator of the estate must dispose of the handguns within 15 days to a dealer, a valid Pistol Permit Holder, or any Police Department.  The issuing agency must be provided with transfer documentation and a certificate of death.

  2. Any person that is in possession of an unregistered gun may voluntarily surrender it to any Police Department (under the Police Departments terms) and will be granted amnesty from prosecution for Unlawful Possession of an illegal firearm. Before you surrender a firearm in this manner you must contact the Police Agency you wish to surrender the firearm to.

Firearm Safety

  • Treat every firearm as if it was loaded.
  • Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
  • Always keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard unless you intend to fire the weapon.

Training & Gun Law Publications

  1. Dutchess County does not require any training classes, but highly recommends them for your safety as well as others. For a list of agencies who provide training in gun law and safety please contact us.

  2. Looseleaf Law publishes New York’s Firearms and Weapons Laws, which is a complete and authoritative guide to New York’s gun laws.  Please write or call:

    Looseleaf Law Publications Inc.
    P.O. Box 650042
    Fresh Meadows, NY 11365-0042
    (800) 647-5547 or 24 hr. fax (718) 539-0941

Go to top of page




Listen button image Listen to webpage


Increase and decrease text size Change text size