Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, Firearms Qualification Checklist
Sign up, using DutchessDelivery, to be notified when the next Qualification date has been announced.
- Course of Fire
- Affidavit (.pdf)
- HR-218 Qualification Card Sample (.pdf)
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (HR-218) allows the qualified law enforcement officer and the qualified retired law enforcement officer to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of any state or local law to the contrary, with certain exceptions.
Each retired officer will be required to provide the following items:
- A copy of valid NEW YORK STATE Pistol Permit.
- A copy of a current “retired” Peace / Police Officer ID card from your former department.
- An original notarized affidavit; to be notarized prior to arriving at the range.
- A safe, functional Firearm, semi-auto or revolver.
- A safe functional holster, strong side, hip draw, covered trigger guard. No shoulder, cross draw or ankle holsters.
- A minimum of 50 rounds factory ammunition per firearm, no reloads.
- Reloading devices, magazines or speed loaders and a belt mounted carrying pouch.
- Wraparound eye protection, hearing protection and a ball cap.
- USPS Money order or check made out to DUTCHESS COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE. No cash will be accepted.
- $50 to qualify with one gun, $90 for two guns. Non Refundable.
Course of fire, FBI-Q target, Passing Score 70%
- 8 rounds standing from 25 yards in 25 seconds, revolver 40 seconds
- 12 rounds standing from 15 yards in 25 seconds, revolver 40 seconds
- 2 rounds standing, each command from 7 yards, total 6 rounds
- 12 rounds standing from 7 yards with a mandatory reload in 15 seconds, revolver 25 seconds
- 2 rounds standing each command from 3 yards in 2 seconds, total 6 rounds
- 6 rounds standing from 3 yards in 6 seconds
Questions may be directed to Sergeant JC Hughes at (845) 486-3864 or JCHughes@dutchessny.gov