~ Cooking Fire Safety Tips ~
The majority of home fires start in the kitchen. The NVFC and Fire Corps offer these tips to make your kitchen a safe one.
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing when cooking, as they are easy targets to catch on fire.
- Always turn pan handles in to prevent food spills.
- Make sure that you keep pot holders and towels away from the stove.
- Replace any old or frayed electrical cords on your appliances.
- Never leave your cooking unattended.
- If a fire should occur on the stove, slide a pan lid over the flames and then turn off the heat.
- If a fire should occur in the oven, keep the oven door closed and turn off the heat to smother the fire.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Make sure it is kept in an accessible place away from the stove and oven.
- If the fire does not go out quickly, use your escape plan and call the fire department immediately.
We can make a difference when we practice fire safety throughout the year.