The Dutchess County Department of Emergency Response hopes you will take a few moments to protect your friends and family from an unexpected tragedy with these simple and easy fire safety tips:
- Test your smoke detector alarms in your home to make sure they are working.
- If you have not replaced the battery within the past six months, replace it now.
- Be certain everyone in your family knows and practices your home fire escape plan.
- Clean smoke detectors at least once a year. Dust and other particles in the air can build up over time and decrease the sensitivity of a smoke detector. The best way to clean a smoke detector is with a vacuum hose.
- Every bedroom should have a smoke detector. It's also recommended to put one in living rooms, kitchens and hallways. You can never have too many!
- A smoke alarm is a terrific holiday gift idea that really shows you care. Nine out of 10 home fire deaths occur at night when people are asleep. A smoke alarm protects and watches over family and friends all year long.
Additional links to smoke and carbon monoxide detector safety information: