Printable version
- Frequently Asked Questions -


Q.   How do I find a place to live?

Look in the newspapers, go on the Internet, search community bulletin boards, ask friends.

Go to top of page

Q.   If I have no place to stay and need emergency housing, where can I go?

You may apply for assistance at the Dutchess County Department of Social Services 60 Market Street Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Your situation will be evaluated and a decision made on your eligibility.

Go to top of page

Q.   How do I hook up to a public water service or sewer system?

There are many different entities that provide water and sewer service in Dutchess County. Each system has its own set of requirements for hook-ups and you must contact the entity that operates the system that has the ability to provide service to your property to determine their requirements. Generally the local municipal (Town, Village or City) office will be able to provide the information regarding which system services which properties in their municipality as long as they have a specific address or tax parcel number.

Go to top of page

Q.   I am in need of financial assistance to pay my heating bills. Where can I get information on this?

Contact the Department of Social Services at: 60 Market Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601, Voice (845) 486-3000   Fax (845) 486-3090.  After hours, call Community Action at (845) 437-0050.

The Department of Social Services also administers H.E.A.P.- Home Energy Assistance Program- a federally funded seasonal program intended to assist low-income households in meeting their energy expenses.  Call Dutchess County Heap Department  (845) 486-3249 for more information. 

Go to top of page

Q.   If I’m under age 21 and have children of my own, does it change the eligibility for TANF, Emergency Assistance, Emergency Housing or Medicaid?

You would be eligible for TANF funds rather than Safety Net funds. Otherwise, the same eligibility criteria apply. You would also be expected to file a support petition against the father of each of your children.

Go to top of page

Q.   Is my well protected?

The Sanitary Code provides some protection (chiefly by regulating development) for individual wells.  The well owner should check the well and water system to ensure that all equipment is maintained and operated properly.   The Dutchess County Department of Behavioral & Community Health is working with several agencies to increase the protection of wells and the public.

Visit our Environmental Services web page to find related links to sanitary codes; for additional information regarding wells, visit our Well Information web page. View more Environmental Health Services contact informaiton.

Go to top of page

Q.   Where can I find a list of senior housing developments in Dutchess County?

The Long Term Care Resource Directory provides contact information and other details for senior citizen housing developments within Dutchess County.  Click on the following link to view Housing/Residential Choices Contact Information.

Go to top of page

Q.   What if I’m not literally homeless, but I’m not living in a good situation or if things are so bad at home that it feels like there could be a major blow up at any minute. As a minor, is there any place I can go?

Stay with a friend temporarily and attempt counseling. Resources available to you depends on your age.  Call the Department of Social Services at (845) 486-3000 to discuss your needs.

Go to top of page

Q.   How can I get current assessment information about my (or another) property?

Check with your local assessor. You can also go to our Parcel/Access web page for assessment information for towns in Dutchess County. The information will be accurate as of the most recent assessment roll.

You can also see the Assessment Rolls for Dutchess County online.

Go to top of page

Q.   My home heating costs have increased because my home is not properly insulated. As a senior citizen, where can I find help?

The Weatherization Referral and Packaging Program (WRAP) is designed to help senior citizens with energy related problems or needs.  If you are experiencing a cold, drafty house during the winter, or if your heating bills are skyrocketing out of sight, contact the Community Action Partnership of Dutchess County, 77 Cannon Street, Poughkeepsie NY, 452-5104 Ext. 130 to see if you can get help with your energy troubles.

Go to top of page

Q.   How do I apply to a nursing home for seniors?

Before applying, an unbiased assessment is needed to determine the level of care needed.  Please contact NY Connects at (845) 475-3511 for an intake worker to assess your needs.  View our list of Nursing Homes in Dutchess County  for additional information.

Go to top of page

Q.   How do I apply to an assisted living facility?

Before applying, an unbiased assessment is needed to determine the level of care needed.  Please contact NY Connects at (845) 486-2555 for an intake worker to assess your needs.  View our list of Assisted Living Facilities in Dutchess County for additional information.

Go to top of page

Q.   As a senior citizen, is there any type of financial assistance available to help me with the cost of home repairs?

The Dutchess County Senior Citizen Owner-Occupied Property Rehabilitation Program is available to low and moderate-income senior citizen households to help them with the cost of home repairs.  For more information and the application, see the Forms webpage under Planning and Development or call (845) 486-3600.

Go to top of page

Q.   Who can I contact when my landlord won't turn on the heat or when I have other problems with the residence that I am renting?

Call the Dutchess County Department of Behavioral & Community Health's Environmental Health Services Division at (845) 486-3404 for complaints about such things as heat, hot water, sewage, mold, etc.  Visit our Environmental Services Contacts web page for more information and contacts.

Go to top of page

Q.   What housing is available for seniors? What is Section 8 Housing?

There are several forms of subsidized housing for senior citizens in Dutchess County. Some housing complexes are run by governmental agencies, while others are operated by not-for profit organizations or profit making companies. In addition to housing sites, the Section 8 program also includes housing vouchers and certificates which may be used as payment toward rent in privately owned apartments.  Visit our Section 8 Housing web pages for more information on Section 8 housing income guidelines and a list of available units.

Go to top of page

Q.   How do I contact the auctioneer of the county owned property auction?

The auctioneer at this time is They can be reached at 1-800-243-0061 -or via email at They provide a brochure and have informational meetings prior to the auction.

For more info contact: (845) 486-2025, Option 1.

Go to top of page

Q.   Who should I contact if I believe that I have been subject to discrimination in credit, education, employment, housing or public accomodations?

Any person who believes that he/she has been discriminated against in employment, housing, public accommodations, education, or credit should contact:
   New York State Division of Human Rights
   8 John Walsh Blvd., Suite 204
   Peekskill, NY 10566
   (914) 788 8050

Go to top of page

Q.   How do I find help in obtaining home repairs?

Visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Home Repairs:  New York  for a list of programs and resources to help homeowners with home repairs and improvements.

Go to top of page